Missing from media reports was crucial information about the role consumers play in keeping food safe at home. To provide Americans with simple home food safety practices, The American Dietetic Association (ADA) and the ConAgra Foundation joined together for a national public awareness initiative called Home Food Safety…It's in Your Hands. The goal of the program is to raise consumer awareness that home food safety is a serious problem and provide solutions that enable Americans to easily and safely handle food in their own kitchens. Four simple and easy-to-remember messages were developed: 1) Wash hands often; 2) Keep raw meats and ready-to-eat foods separate; 3) Cook to proper temperatures; 4) Refrigerate promptly below 40° F.
ADA/ConAgra created a public service announcement featuring celebrity chef Graham Kerr and ADA registered dietitian Kathleen Zelman to educate consumers about safe food preparation in the home by bringing the four key messages to life.
- Educate consumers about proper home food safety practices to motivate them to modify their behavior accordingly.
- Leverage Graham Kerr’s celebrity status to help disseminate program messages.
- Position ConAgra Foods and the American Dietetic Association as the nation’s premier partners in home food safety education.
- Was distributed to 200 outlets nationwide with 850+ airings within the first three months
- Has aired more than 1,900 times and has generated 29 million media impressions to date.
- Aired in top markets, including: Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Indianapolis and Raleigh.
- Will air in 2,000 Wal-Mart stores across the country between April 2001 and June 2001.