- meet the needs of employees with a desire to be up-to-date on the most influential and significant technological trends in the Latin American region
- give decision-makers, leaders and influencers within the organization a tool to use when helping their clients make decisions about entering or expanding in the Latin American market
- equip account managers with necessary information to recommend public relations activities in the region, and help grow the Latin American practice through cross-sales to existing clients who were unaware of their Latin American opportunities
- position members of the Latin American practice as experts, within the company, in actively reporting and responding to the region’s technology developments with appropriate and dynamic public relations tactics
Many of the accomplishments of the Latin American technology practice team can be attributed to the effectiveness of its newsletter. The newsletter has set an example within the company as a way to distribute valuable information and to educate the staff while growing the business of a newly established practice.
CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES
The newsletter was first launched in January of 2000 with the announcement of the opening of the Porter Novelli Latin American technology practice, headed by Alejandro Hernández. Hernández and his team initiated the newsletter as a time-efficient way to educate the network of Porter Novelli leaders about the growing opportunities and technology trends in Latin America.
Using the one-page easy-to-read format, the Latin American Technology Trends newsletter differentiated itself from the other practice publications among the decision-makers and leaders in Porter Novelli. The Latin American technology practice needed to found an original way to present their information and demonstrate their value so the publication would be utilized and not ignored.
PLANNING AND OBJECTIVES OF THE NEWSLETTER
The Latin American practice team initiated the Latin American Technology Trends newsletter for three reasons:
- provide leaders, influencers and decision-makers within Porter Novelli with information about important technology trends and issues in the Latin American region
- supply account managers worldwide within the network with necessary information to recommend public relations activities in the region, and to help grow the Latin American practice through cross-sales to existing clients unaware of their Latin American opportunities
- to position members of the Latin American practice as experts within Porter Novelli, in actively reporting and responding to the region’s technology developments with appropriate and dynamic public relations tactics
CAMPAIGN APPROACH AND EXECUTION
The Latin American Technology Trends newsletter follows the look and feel of the Porter Novelli International Web site to maintain consistency among corporate documents. It uses the common logos and typefaces of Porter Novelli Convergence Group in a one-page, easy-to-read format that maintains a consistent look and feel from month to month.
The primary means of distribution for the newsletter is an email mailing list, which includes Porter Novelli’s corporate office and account leaders in both the United States and Latin American offices. The newsletter is also posted to the Porter Novelli Corporate Intranet as well as the Porter Novelli Latin America microsite. From these sources, the email is forwarded to additional parties throughout the world.
Prior to the introduction of the Latin American Technology Trends newsletter, there was a lack of knowledge of Latin American market potential among key account leaders within the organization. The newsletter has helped create a greater level of awareness of proactive new business opportunities, and consequently, more business has been generated under the control of these same account leaders. The practice’s new client wins within the past 12 months include clients such as Microsoft Latin America, Newcom Communications, and Citrix among others.
As the newsletter gains popularity and value among the Porter Novelli and Porter Novelli Convergence Group leaders, it has also become extremely valuable as an external resource for sales and marketing purposes. The contents of the newsletter position Alejandro Hernández and his team as true experts in technology and public relations within the region.
The Latin American Technology Trends newsletter has generated loyalty and value among its readers due to its one-page, easy-to-read format and the relevancy, accuracy and value of its content. Since its inception, the newsletter has covered important Latin American regional issues including the fast growing Internet market, important technology tradeshows and events, venture capital trends, new online and print information resources, PC growth rates, e-business trends and advice, profiles of Latin American Internet users, undersea fiber optic cables, IT labor issues, servers, telecommunications, and new client wins for the practice.
The Latin American Technology Trends newsletter:
gave decision-makers, leaders and influencers within the organization a tool to help their clients make decisions about entering/expanding into the Latin American market
equipped account managers with information to recommend public relations activities in the region and help grow the Latin American practice
positioned members of the Latin American practice as experts within the company
The success of the newsletter has been measured by the number of new accounts, programs and affiliate offices that have been launched in the region and the reputation that Porter Novelli Convergence Group has gained as a technology public relations firm with Latin American experience and expertise. The Latin American practice has grown tremendously in the past 12 months and is expected to grow exponentially in the year to come.