Holmes Report 26 Apr 2011 // 11:00PM GMT
Building on the tremendous success of the first two years of the Jiffy Lube Maintenance Partners for Life campaign, Jiffy Lube International (JLI) embarked on a third year of the company’s national cause marketing campaign with a commitment to raise an additional $1 million for the American Heart Association’s (AHA) Go Red For Women movement (GRFW).
By asking customers to donate $3 to the AHA’s GRFW movement, Jiffy Lube planned to raise and donate $1 million, with one hundred percent of the funds going to the cause. In appreciation for donating, customers received a Jiffy Lube savings book with more than $100 in savings, as well as healthy lifestyle tips and recipes. For the first time, Jiffy Lube also offered consumers the option to donate to GRFW online, through the campaign microsite: www.JiffyLubeGoesRed.com. Other important program elements included franchisee outreach and activation; media relations; a strong online presence; and local community events. The campaign was executed from February 1 through March 14, 2010 with incredible success.
The campaign addressed both business and social objectives, including:
• making a significant impact in the fight against heart disease in local communities where Jiffy Lube stores operate,
• enhancing the Jiffy Lube reputation, including perception that the company is a good corporate citizen,
• acquiring new customers, and
• building pride in the Jiffy Lube brand among franchisees.
Research conducted prior to the first year of the campaign showed that heart disease is an important cause for Jiffy Lube customers; therefore, JLI chose to partner with the AHA to support the GRFW movement by creating the Jiffy Lube Maintenance Partners for Life campaign. Pre- and post-campaign research conducted by JLI shows that the campaign had a positive effect on consumers’ opinions and behaviors and was also successful for both JLI and the AHA. Specifically:
• After year three of the Maintenance Partners for Life campaign, 57 percent of customers said they believe Jiffy Lube is making a positive impact in their community, and 49 percent perceived Jiffy Lube to be more involved with the local community because of the brand’s association with the AHA.
• After year three of the Maintenance Partners for Life campaign, 85 percent of customers said they perceived Jiffy Lube to be more trustworthy because of the brand’s association with the AHA.
• In 2010, a third (33 percent) of customers had a better opinion of Jiffy Lube after hearing of the brand’s involvement with the AHA.
Gaining franchisee commitment to participate in national campaigns and implementing a consistent program across the Jiffy Lube system is always a major challenge since participation is not mandatory. A particular challenge with this campaign is that a number of franchisees already support and are involved with other causes and nonprofit organizations – in some cases for decades. It was important for JLI to show the franchisees how the campaign could be activated and have an impact locally. In 2010, JLI created excitement among the franchisee community about the program, resulting in more than 87 percent of the system agreeing to participate.
• Conduct an integrated marketing communications campaign to help increase awareness of heart and vehicle health, while raising funds for the AHA’s GRFW movement.
• Arm franchisees in local markets with easy-to-use tools to activate the campaign and media relations in their markets.
• Use media relations as a vehicle to raise awareness of the campaign nationally and locally.
• Leverage online assets to spread the word and engage consumers.
• Use AHA content to build credibility for campaign.
The Jiffy Lube Maintenance Partners for Life campaign plays on the parallels between maintaining heart health and vehicle health, educating people on smart, preventive efforts for their bodies and vehicles. The key elements of the campaign were integrated into virtually all Jiffy Lube marketing communication channels, including:
• Media outreach at national, regional and local levels for TV, print, radio and online outlets.
• Targeted blogger outreach resulted in additional, quality coverage in the form of online giveaways of the Jiffy Lube savings book and Jiffy Lube Gift Cards®.
• A dedicated microsite, www.JiffyLubeGoesRed.com, informed visitors of the campaign and provided information on where to go to participate, tips on heart health and vehicle maintenance, progress made toward the goal of $1 million, and an opportunity to donate to the AHA online.
• A Maintenance Partners for Life Facebook fan page allowed consumers to view event photos, receive program updates, communicate with others and share their experiences about heart and vehicle maintenance, and check out fundraising events happening at local service centers.
• A radio media tour featuring Jiffy Lube franchisee, Sean Porcher and Dr. Karla Kurrelmeyer, highlighted the benefits of heart health and how the Jiffy Lube Maintenance Partners for Life campaign was dedicated to raising awareness for GRFW, and educating consumers on how to better care for themselves and their vehicles.
• An audio news release featuring Porcher and Dr. Kurrelmeyer highlighted the benefits of maintaining a healthy heart and a healthy vehicle and how the Jiffy Lube Maintenance Partners for Life campaign was raising awareness for both.
• A MAT article highlighted the same messages communicated in the media tour and audio news release.
• A comprehensive activation guide provided franchisees with easy-to-implement ideas to build excitement for the campaign in their communities. The guide was accompanied with a toolkit that featured press material templates associated with the activation ideas, as well as tips for how and when to pitch the media in their local markets.
• All donations raised in area-service centers were donated back to local chapters of the AHA.
Evaluation of Success
The Maintenance Partners for Life campaign has been a very successful Jiffy Lube marketing campaign. The measures below helped to evaluate the success of the 2010 Maintenance Partners for Life campaign:
• Reach fundraising goal
• Increase media impressions
• Secure visibility through national media placement
• Increase social media presence
• Increase number of customers who perceive Jiffy Lube positively
• Increase number of customers who perceive Jiffy Lube as making a positive impact on their communities
The 2010 campaign garnered more than 174 million media impressions and motivated new and existing customers to donate to the cause, and to learn about heart and vehicle health. This campaign also allowed individual Jiffy Lube franchisees and service centers to rally in a unified effort around a common marketing strategy. The following results help quantify the campaign’s success:
• $1,111,784 raised for the AHA’s GRFW in six weeks during 2010, 111 percent of the campaign goal of $1 million. Since 2008, the Maintenance Partners for Life campaign has raised more than $3.4 million for the AHA.
• More than 174 million media impressions generated; a 20 percent increase from 2009. Media highlights included:
o Visibility in and on consumer and trade outlets including CBS’ “Early Show,” NBC’s “TODAY,” GoodHousekeeping.com, The Modesto Bee, Des Moines Register, STLToday.com, and many others
o More than 150 local broadcast television placements
o More than 15 radio media tour segments in key markets including Dallas, Denver, Washington D.C. and Seattle
o More than 750 online and print MAT article placements
• Nearly 500 percent increase in Facebook fan group over 2009.
• Consistent media presence helped achieve positive Jiffy Lube brand image; 33 percent of customers had a better opinion of
Jiffy Lube after hearing of the brand’s involvement with the AHA.
• 57 percent of customers said they believe Jiffy Lube is making a positive impact in their community, and 49 percent perceived Jiffy Lube to be more involved with the local community because of their association with the AHA.