Global PR Summit 2015
The most important event in the global communications world’s calendar. 26-28 Oct in Miami.
The key global benchmark of PR agency rankings, industry size and global comms trends.
The world's 100 most powerful corporate communicators.
The Holmes Report profiles marketing and communications innovators from across North America and EMEA.
The most creatively awarded PR campaigns and agencies in the world.
In-depth annual research into the PR industry's efforts to raise creative standards.
Coverage of the Cannes Lions from the Holmes Report in association with H+K Strategies.
Creative work, trends and views from the global public relations industry.
Dedicated to exploring the new frontiers of PR as it dives deeper into social media, content and analytics.
Our coverage of key technology PR trends and challenges around the world.
From brand marketing to conscious consumerism, coverage of key marketing and PR trends worldwide.
Coverage of healthcare PR and marketing.
Financial communications, sector news and mergers and acquisitions.
Coverage of global corporate reputation and communications news and trends.
The world's biggest PR awards programme, dedicated to benchmarking the best PR work from across the globe.
A high-level forum designed for senior practitioners to address the critical issues facing the profession.
Exploring the innovation and disruption that is redefining influence and engagement.
The Holmes Report's annual selections for PR Agencies of the Year, across all of the world's major markets.
Bringing together in-house comms leaders with PR firms to discuss critical global issues.
Ketchum Pleon’s brief was to help IBMers use social media in their daily business.
Holmes Report 30 Apr 2012 // 11:00PM GMT
Harsh #Truth: Most social media strategies are no strategies but just a view ‘out of the blue’ activities.
IBM is one of the leading technology solutions providers in the world. Ketchum Pleon’s brief was to help IBMers to use social media not just for doing it, but to use these emerging technologies in their daily business. A pool of best technical minds and leading innovators - who believe in building a smarter planet - decided to move IBM and its clients well beyond social media into a new era of collaboration they call Social Business.
IBM’s goal is to promote the vision of social business and embed it front and centre in the digital activities and in the everyday thinking of employees at the IBM Benelux. The challenge is to inspire already technically savvy and digitally motivated employees to become ‘digital citizens’, enthuse them about the value social media can add and motivate them to start exploring the online world.
Social Business is based on three leading principles that challenge existing conventions in communications and Social Media:
1. We don’t have a corporate blog or a corporate Twitter ID, because we want the ‘IBMers’ in aggregate to be the corporate blog and the corporate Twitter ID.
2. We represent our brand online the way it always has been, which is employees first.
3. Our brand is largely shaped by the interactions that they have with customers.
Imagine an IBM room full of technical minds, sales specialists and leading innovators. All 300 of them. A room full of energy, where drive and motivation go hand in hand with deep rooted thinking and a common belief what the brand experience for IBM stands for – an experience with an IBMer. But can 300+ of technically savvy and motivated IBMers go even further and be challenged and inspired to become true ‘Social Business Ambassadors’ for IBM?
PR activity involved hand-picking 300+ employees from various business lines across IBM, enrolling them in the ‘From Social Media to Social Business’ program, which included communications and personal branding trainings. We positioned them as ambassadors for the IBM social business giving them different roles of i.e. expert locator, social aggregator, or social business manager. Their progress as ‘Social Business Ambassadors’ was charted on their personal dashboards during training and individual coaching. To help them see the impact of their various interactions, we followed up the trainings with one-to-one sessions, co-creating stories on various topics that we pitched after to several online media and generate wide online coverage.
So, did we succeed in turning sales and technical staff into true social ambassadors for IBM’s social business? Yes, we did…and not only that. The newly appointed ‘Social Business Ambassadors’ also passed their knowledge and enthusiasm along, training their peers. Out of 7,000 Benelux IBM employees, 200 are engaged and connected to clients and partners through mobile experience and the new IBM way of collaboration – through social business.
1. Support change programme that radically transforms how IBMers sell their expertise and solutions – going beyond social media towards social business
2. Bridge communications and sales enablement
3. Transform IBMers into ‘Social Business Ambassadors’
4. Motivate IBMers to become responsible for their own digital reputation
RESEARCH – PLANNING - STRATEGY – CREATIVITY OF CAMPAIGN
‘From Social Media to Social Business’ campaign challenged IBMers to become more enthuse about their social and digital interactions. Ketchum Pleon’s mission was to transform them into ‘Social Ambassadors’, by:
- Handpicking and training a pool of inspired and motivated IBMers – the social business brand ambassadors, who are skilled in their personal branding, own messaging, and personal roadmap to engage on social media, and to reach out to traditional media, and who are able to combine these elements in their sales / client contacts
- Creating and implementing a suite of communications and sales enablement training programs that combined sales enablement, social media, presentation skills, and personal branding
- Organizing a crisis communication training for the ‘advanced ambassadors’ (real life situation) involving social media (one tweet about the situation leads to a trending topic on Twitter - the message spreads across several (online) media, press is waiting for a statement from IBM - a TV- and a radio interview with IBM’s communication team are simulated)
- Co-developing Social Media Strategies for different business lines
- Co-creating campaigns highly integrated with the Social Media culture;
- Co-managing IBM’s online communities;
- Deploying Social Media for reaching their Internal Publics.
- Charting the results of progress of ‘Social Business Ambassadors’ on their personal dashboard charts and helping them see the impact of their various interactions online
- Giving rise to an active pool of more than Benelux IBMers who are active on at least one of the Social Business platforms, and who share their expertise and experience with peers and clients via Digital Labs on daily basis
- Making sure that all programs are dedicated to the success of every IBM client, communicating about innovation, topic at the heart of IBM, and by helping to build trust and personal responsibility in all relationships online and offline
- IBMers have in-dept platform knowledge and know how to collaborate with and use every type of media.
- IBMers are able to create hands-on messaging and know how to use media to bring their message across their target groups.
- IBMers know their tone of voice and how to control their body language so it can strengthen their message when talking to media.
- IBMers are aware of the role they should take in several situations (e.g. crisis) and know they are always seen as the spokesperson.
- Benelux IBMers now have an in-dept platform knowledge and know how to collaborate with and use every type of media; they are able to create hands-on messaging and know how to use media to bring their message across their target groups; they know their tone of voice and how to control their body language so it can strengthen their message when talking to media
Arun Sudhaman 02 Oct 2015
Asia's two most powerful leaders tried hard to win the soft power battle during their recent US tour ...
Aarti Shah 01 Sep 2015
In the U.S., new parents are often left stitching together a confusing patchwork of leave. The PR in ...
We feel that the views of the reader are as important as the views of the writer. Please contact us at [email protected]Signup For Our Newsletter Media Kits/Editorial Calendar Jobs Postings Sitemap
© The Holmes Report 2014